Immigration Physical Exams

Closeup of SphygmomanometerWhen you apply for a green card (adjustment of status) in the united states, you usually need to have a medical examination. The exam must be done by a doctor who is authorized by u.s. citizenship and immigration services (uscis). Uscis designates certain doctors (also known as civil surgeons) to perform the medical exam required for most green card applicants. Military physicians are authorized to perform immigration medical exams at a military treatment facility within the united states for u.s. veterans, members of the u.s. military and designated dependents.

Bring the following to your medical exam:

Form i-693, report of medical examination and vaccination record

Government-issued photo identification, such as a valid passport or driver’s license. If you are 14 years old or younger, bring identification that shows your name, date and place of birth and parent’s full name. Possible forms of identification include your birth certificate (with an english translation) or an affidavit.

Vaccination or immunization record (such as dt, dtp, dtap, td, tdap, opv, ipv, mmr, hib, hepatitis a, hepatitis b, varicella, pneumococcal influenza, rotavirus and meningococcal disease).

During the exam

The doctor will test for communicable diseases such as tuberculosis and syphilis. The tuberculosis test is done in two parts. You will have to return to the doctor’s office within two to three days to have the results read. The syphilis test is a blood test.

The doctor will also check your records to see if you need any vaccinations.

After the exam, the doctor will complete form i-693 and seal the form in an envelope for you to submit to uscis. Make sure you get a copy of the completed form i-693 for your personal records before the doctor seals the envelope. Uscis will not accept the form if the envelope has been opened or altered.

For full details, please go to

Contact us
Location Icon
Garcia Medical Centers
3538 West Fullerton Avenue, Chicago IL 60647